Breast Implants in Lowell, MA
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is surgery to increase breast size, also known as augmentation mammoplasty. The procedure involves placing breast implants under the breast tissue or chest muscles.
If you’re interested in breast implants in the Lowell area, contact New England Plastic Surgery Center today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Ali. Give us a call at (978) 942-4835 or request an appointment through our secure online form.
Why is Breast Augmentation Performed?
A breast augmentation can be a way to reshape the breasts or make them larger. There are a number of reasons why you may consider this procedure.
Some common reasons for a breast augmentation include:
- To help boost your self-confidence
- Restore symmetry if one breast is larger than the other
- As part of breast reconstruction following cancer or a mastectomy
- Help women feel more feminine
- After weight loss to help breasts feel more full
- Improve volume loss after pregnancy or childbirth
- Aging can cause the breasts to sag, so an augmentation can help restore a more youthful bustline
- Help improve the fit of clothing
- If your natural breasts are droopy or saggy, a breast augmentation can be combined with a breast lift for a more desired look
Am I a Candidate for a Breast Augmentation?
To see if you are a candidate for a breast augmentation, talk to Dr. Ali. There are some risks with surgery, and you want to be sure that you and your surgeon communicate openly. It is important to be honest about your concerns as well as your desired outcome.
You’ll consult with Dr. Ali about your preferences for size, feel and appearance of your breasts.
She will discuss with you whether you prefer:
- Smooth or textured implants
- Round or shaped like a teardrop
- Saline or silicone
- Scarring options or various surgical techniques
Dr. Ali will review your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for implants.
How is a Breast Augmentation Performed?
A breast augmentation involves using breast implants to increase the size of your breasts. This procedure can achieve a more rounded breast shape or improve natural breast size.
It is the most common type of plastic surgery and Dr. Ali is highly trained in the latest technology.
After your consultation, you can expect:
- Surgery is most often in a surgical center or hospital outpatient facility.
- You’ll probably go home the same day but need someone to drive you home.
- Dr. Ali will give you local anesthesia to numb the breast area or more often, general anesthesia. This means you will be asleep for the surgery.
- Dr. Ali will make an incision under your armpit, nipple or chest.
- Then Dr. Ali will separate the breast tissue from the muscles and create a pocket for the implant.
- The implant is inserted and centered behind your nipple.
- If it is a saline implant, they are inserted empty and then filled with sterile salt water
- If it is a silicone implant, they are pre-filled with silicone gel
- Dr. Ali will close the incision with stitches and bandage it carefully.
- You will be allowed to rest and recover for a short time before going home.
- It may take 6-8 weeks for total recovery after surgery.
What Do I Need to Know Before Surgery?
Breast augmentation is a safe and routine procedure. If you have questions before surgery, schedule a consultation. We can make sure you feel confident and know exactly what to expect.
Keep in mind the following:
- Most insurances do not cover the procedure
- Implants won’t prevent breasts from sagging
- You may need additional screening for breast cancer or ruptured implants
- Implants usually last about 10 years
Schedule Your Breast Augmentation Consultation Today
If you’re considering breast implants in the Lowell area, contact New England Plastic Surgery Center today to schedule a consultation in Chelmsford. Plastic surgeon Loreen Ali, MD is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience performing safe and effective breast augmentations. We see patients from throughout the Boston area including Lowell, Billerica, Westford, Chelmsford, Dracut, and the surrounding areas.