Facelift in Lowell, MA
What Is a Facelift?
A facelift is a cosmetic procedure that helps to lift and tighten sagging skin through surgery for a more youthful appearance. There are several types of facelift procedures, but they all seek to give the face a more youthful shape.
As you age, skin and tissues naturally lose their elasticity and can often lead to sagging. A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, lifts and tightens the facial tissue. Typically, skin is pulled back, tissue below the skin is altered, and the excess skin is removed.
What Can a Facelift Help With?
If you have any of the following, you may be interested in a facelift procedure:
- Sagging appearance of the cheeks
- Excess skin at the lower jawline
- Deep skin folds from the sides of the nose to the corner of the mouth
- Sagging skin and excess fat in the neck or a double chin
Am I a Candidate for a Facelift?
A facelift is a surgery, so it is important to schedule a consultation to see if you are a good candidate for the procedure. You can talk to Dr. Ali to discuss your desired results and see what other procedures you may also need to achieve your desired results. This may include an eye lift, liposuction, or other procedures at the time of surgery. A facelift can not reverse the effects of sun damage such as wrinkles or discoloration.
Candidates for facelift surgery include those who are:
- Physically healthy
- Without a medical condition that affects your body’s ability to heal
Because the surgery is cosmetic, insurance companies usually do not cover the cost of the procedure that can be expensive.
When Is the Best Time for a Facelift?
The decision to undergo a facelift is often contemplated for a while. As you age, you can develop a treatment plan to do so gracefully. A facelift may be part of your plan and fit within your goals.
Typically, the best candidates for surgery are those who have signs of facial aging, but still have some skin elasticity. This is usually patients in their 40s to 60s.
Younger or older people can sometimes be candidates, just depending on the situation.
Depending on your age, skin, and face, your surgery procedure may differ. Every face is unique and you have specific goals we will discuss prior to surgery.
There are mini facelift procedures with minimal downtime with smaller incisions to focus on the lower part of the face. It may result in swelling and bruising, but recovery is usually faster. This can sometimes be done with local anesthesia in the office.
There are mid-facelift procedures focusing on the cheek and eye area, and then there are traditional facelift procedures that can elevate the skin and tighten the tissues and muscles.
How to Prepare for Facelift Surgery
- Consultation – First talk with Dr. Ali about your options for a facelift. We can address any concerns or questions you may have specific to your situation.
- Anesthesia – Before the facelift procedure, you will undergo anesthesia so you will feel comfortable during the surgery.
- Incisions – There are several options for the incisions so they can be as discreet as possible and can heal properly. Common areas include around your ears, lower scalp or under the chin.
- Lift – The surgeon will reposition, remove, or tighten the facial muscles and skin during surgery.
- Closing the incisions – You can discuss which type of stitches or glue will be used as you recover from surgery. Some dissolve on their own and others will need to be removed.
- Recovery – Plan to give your body plenty of rest following a facelift. You will need to wait in the hospital for a few hours and then recover at home. You may have bandages or tubes to help minimize the swelling and bruising. You will be given specific instructions and medications to control the pain.
- Follow-up – After surgery you can expect to follow-up with Dr. Ali to ensure everything is properly healing.
Schedule Your Facelift Today
If you’re considering a facelift, be sure to consult with a specialist. For patients in the Lowell area, Dr. Loreen Ali is here to help. Dr. Ali is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and utilizes the latest technology and techniques to perform safe and natural-looking facelifts. To schedule your consultation with Dr. Ali, contact the New England Plastic Surgery Center today. Give us a call at (978) 942-4835 or request an appointment through our secure online form. We see patients from throughout the Boston area including Lowell, Billerica, Westford, Chelmsford, Dracut, and throughout the Merrimack Valley.